AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 05, 2021 10:43AM
Hi AFNI experts,

I just had a puzzling result for a few subjects when using 3dDeconvolve and wanted to check my understanding.

I have a breath hold task for which I have 3 conditions - breathing normally, cued breathing, and breath hold. In my 3dDeconvolve command I specified 3 contrasts, one for comparing the hold to each breathing condition, and one to compare it to both breathing conditions. The afni output correctly specified the matrices like this:
1 -1 -1
1 -1 0
1 0 -1

these were specified like:
-gltsym 'SYM: hold -instructed -normal' -glt_label 1 hold_gt_breathing
-gltsym 'SYM: hold -instructed' -glt_label 2 hold_gt_instructed
-gltsym 'SYM: hold -normal' -glt_label 3 hold_gt_normal

Somehow it appears that in many voxels, the sign is flipped for the third contrast as opposed to the first two (ie the coefficients for 1 and 2 will be positive, and 3 is negative). Does this make sense and could someone explain under what conditions this would happen if so?

Thank you!
James
Subject Author Posted

3dDeconvolve - 'combined' contrast is opposite sign of individual ones?

Jamesp August 05, 2021 10:43AM

Re: 3dDeconvolve - 'combined' contrast is opposite sign of individual ones?

gang August 05, 2021 12:44PM