AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 16, 2020 10:03PM
Hi there, I'm working through learning PPI analysis and have a question regarding step 2A on this document: [afni.nimh.nih.gov]

2a. If your stimulus onset times were not synchronized with TR grids, pick up a sub_TR, e.g., 0.1 seconds, replace the above 1dtranspose step and upsample seed time series by xx (original TR divided by sub_TR) times:

My question is, how do I know if my stimulus onset times are synchronized with TR grids? Does this refer to whether the study was designed to have stimulus onset times starting and exactly aligning with the length of each TR?

If so, I definitely do no have osnet times aligned with my TRs.
My TR is 1.5 seconds, and I have a stimulus shown approximately every 4.5 seconds, and some variable resting periods within each run.

So the main question is how do I select a sub_TR? Is there some logic behind a sub_TR of .1, as given in the example?

If I were to select a sub_TR of .1, my timeseries would be upsampled by an integer of 15 (i.e. 1.5 TR / .1 sub-TR). Is that reasonable? I have no conceptual understanding of what this upsampling is doing, and how it solves the issue of not having synchronized TR grids and stimulus onsets.

I'd love any advice for selecting a sub_tr, and secondary, help understanding the conceptual basis for this!

Thanks a million
Subject Author Posted

PPI question stimulus onset times and TR grids

jyaros August 16, 2020 10:03PM

Re: PPI question stimulus onset times and TR grids

jyaros August 24, 2020 03:36PM

Re: PPI question stimulus onset times and TR grids

rick reynolds August 17, 2021 08:16PM