AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 02, 2021 11:17AM
Dear Colleagues,

Hi. I was born in 1976. My mother and father were both hairdressers in New York City; that's how they met. ... Sorry, let me skip ahead. In the last year or so, I have been refreshing, updating, and solidifying my AFNI skills a little by rereading some AFNI Bootcamp materials and rerunning the associated hands-on exercises. In doing so, I put together a syllabus of sorts. See below.

Please give me some feedback on it or let me know if I missed something similar in the AFNI documentation because I plan to require my trainees to complete everything on it, especially the hands-on material (with my help and yours of course), and would like to optimize it before subjecting them to it. Also, what would be a reasonable amount of time for someone to complete it? Someone who has lots of other responsibilities. Someone who is very smart and maybe has a little computer-programming experience but has never heard the words Unix or Linux before. Maybe three months?

Sincerely,

Dante

INTRODUCTION:
Reading:
afni00_unix.pdf
afni01_intro.pdf
afni02_to3d.pdf
afni03_interactive.pdf

FUNCTIONAL PREPROCESSING:
Reading:
afni16_start_to_finish.pdf (pp. 1-10)
afni_proc.pdf (pp. 1-25)
Output of afni_proc.py -help (program introduction, PROCESSING BLOCKS, DEFAULTS, and the rest as needed)
Video(s):
[AFNI Academy] AFNI Time Series Analysis (part 8/8): Pre-Processing
[AFNI Academy] Start to Finish Hands-On [1-12, 16]

ANATOMICAL PREPROCESSING:
Reading:
afni14_alignment.pdf
Video(s):
[AFNI Academy] Alignment [1-4]

NONLINEAR/PATCH-REFINEMENT/LOCAL-REFINEMENT ALIGNMENT:
afni_proc.pdf (pp. 26-37)

OVERVIEW OF FMRI DESIGNS AND ANALYSES:
Reading:
afni04_fmri.pdf
Video(s):
[AFNI Academy] AFNI Time Series Analysis (part 2/8): FMRI Data

BLOCK DESIGN AND ANALYSIS:
Reading:
afni05_regression.pdf
Video(s):
[AFNI Academy] AFNI Time Series Analysis (part 3/8): FMRI Fixed-Shape Models
[AFNI Academy] Start to Finish Hands-On [13-15]

EVENT-RELATED (ER) DESIGN AND ANALYSIS USING BASIS FUNCTIONS/TENT FUNCTIONS/PIECEWISE LINEAR SPLINES/LINEAR INTERPOLATION/VARIABLE-SHAPE HEMODYNAMIC RESPONSE FUNCTIONS:
Reading:
afni_TimeSeriesAnalysis.pdf (pp. 53-72)
afni06_decon.pdf (pp. 1-25)
Video(s):
[AFNI Academy] AFNI Time Series Analysis (part 4/8): FMRI Variable-Shape Models
Notes:
Note well that the data discussed in afni06_decon.pdf is not available in
[afni.nimh.nih.gov]
and you must get it from
[afni.nimh.nih.gov]

GROUP ANALYSIS:
Reading:
afni16_start_to_finish.pdf (pp. 11-12)
Video(s):
[AFNI Academy] AFNI Population-level modeling: Overview, perspectives and concepts
[AFNI Academy] Start to Finish Hands-On (17/17): t-test

MULTIPLE TESTING CORRECTION:
Reading:
afni07_ETAC.pdf
Output of afni_proc.py -help (-regress_est_blur_epits, -regress_est_blur_errts, -regress_run_clustsim, -regress_CS_NN, and -regress_opts_CS)
[afni.nimh.nih.gov] (Steps 4 and 5)
Video(s):
[fmrif.nimh.nih.gov]
[AFNI Academy] Start to Finish Hands-On (11/17): blur and mask blocks
Notes:
Solution 1 on p. 16 of afni07_ETAC.pdf is a good approach to start with.

PREPARING YOUR TABLE OF CLUSTERS (GENERALLY, THIS IS THE LAST STEP BEFORE SUBMITTING THE PUBLICATION, AND YOU SHOULD TYPICALLY USE A MASK WHEN VIEWING YOUR RESULTS INITIALLY.):
Reading:
[afni.nimh.nih.gov]
Video(s):
[AFNI Academy] AFNI GUI: Clusterizing
Subject Author Posted

AFNI "syllabus"

dante.picchioni September 02, 2021 11:17AM

Re: AFNI "syllabus"

Daniel Glen September 02, 2021 02:31PM

Re: AFNI "syllabus"

dante.picchioni September 03, 2021 07:21AM