AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
January 27, 2023 02:05PM
Hi all,

I recently analyzed using an SPMG1 HRF model. I have since reanalyzed it (to deal with the left-right flip issue noted in Glen et al., (2020) and got different group-level results. I examined the output of my afni_proc.py log and noticed that in the new log, the HRF is listed as SPMG1[0] model, despite not changing the afni version. In looking at the 3dDeconvolve documentation, I note that the SPMG1[0] HRF model is normalized to a peak value of 1, whereas the SPMG1 HRF model is not. The pattern of results on the subject-wise level are almost identical, but the betas and Thr values differ, and they differ at the second level as I said before.

The duration of the events in the main contrast of interest are the same (3 seconds). Is there any way to know what the scaling is for the SPMG1 HRF model? My assumption is that different normalizations would lead to different betas as a function of the convolving operation. Is this true? And are there situations in which it is valid (including my own) to use SPMG1 over SPMG1[0]? If it makes such a big difference, I might just use the GAM function I'd used in the past. I'd rather not have to reanalyze my data.

Thanks,
Matt
Subject Author Posted

HRF normalization

Matthew Hoptman January 27, 2023 02:05PM

Re: HRF normalization

rick reynolds January 27, 2023 07:48PM