AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
October 15, 2012 07:05PM
I think you could get a much better computer than the one you listed for that price. Consider the following options:

1. Build your own - often the cheapest route with a good money to performance ratio. I'd suggest newegg.com
2. Buy refurbished - this can be from the manufacturer (e.g. Apple: Apple Store refurbished) or some ebay sellers are authorized computer resellers - I have had great luck with refurbished computers over the years. They often come with a full or nearly-full warranty. The inventory for refurbished changes often so you often have to check back.
3. Shop the deals - techbargains.com and newegg.com are both good sources - a quick search just now found several dual core/processor computers with at least 4GB of RAM for under $400.
4. Buy the outgoing model - I've had good luck using amazon.com for this.
5. Buy something new from the manufacturer (e.g. Lenovo, HP, etc) that fits your needs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 07:07PM by Peter Molfese.
Subject Author Posted

Inexpensive computer/OS to run afni?

John Keltner October 15, 2012 05:38PM

Re: Inexpensive computer/OS to run afni?

Daniel Glen October 15, 2012 06:06PM

Peter Molfese October 15, 2012 07:05PM

Erika October 16, 2012 04:29PM