AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
October 25, 2012 06:15PM
Hi Daniel,

I have experience with BOINC, I think it's a great system. I don't think it would be my first choice for processing fMRI data. You could wrap your AFNI commands using the wrapper app. I've used it for single programs, but not for a series of programs called through a shell script (e.g. afni_proc.py). In terms of using computers all over campus, I don't think BOINC is the system to use for information that needs to be kept private. You can read about how the system keeps things unencrypted both in transit and in memory.

If you aren't planning to upgrade to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion anytime soon, I'd say go ahead and use Xgrid or use Condor which works well on 10.6-10.8.x and likely will continue to work in the future. I'm also a big fan of GNU Parallel, which send jobs to other computers and can be setup using Homebrew. Pair it with an NFS share mounted on all computers and you have a fast-made cluster.

GNU Parallel example to skull strip all files in a directory:
ls *.nii | parallel 3dSkullStrip -input {} -prefix {.}_brain.nii

Any cluster system paired with good scripting (e.g. bash, python, ruby, etc) can work. It then just comes down to how much work you want to put in to get it running.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 06:19PM by Peter Molfese.
Subject Author Posted

AFNI and xgrid?

Anonymous User October 24, 2012 03:23PM

Re: AFNI and xgrid?

Peter Molfese October 24, 2012 09:23PM

Anonymous User October 25, 2012 04:32PM

Peter Molfese October 25, 2012 06:15PM