AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
October 15, 2012 05:38PM
Hello,

I am seeking suggestions for inexpensive and AFNI reliable OS/hardware platforms?

I want to buy an inexpensive AFNI compatible computer that an assistant can use to assist with T1 structural skull stripping editing.

I have had a lot of success using AFNI on an IMAC and a MAC Powerbook to remove and clean up residual non-brain matter in T1 skull stripped structural MRI images for VBM analyses.

I want to buy an additional computer (for less than $500) to run AFNI so an assistant can help me edit structural images from ~250 subjects.

I would buy another MAC computer but they are hard to find for $500 (used computers seem unattractive).

The reviewer recommended linux PC company 'Eight Virtues' sells this Ubuntu 10.04 computer with these specs: AMD Athlon X2 2.2 GHz 1 GB (2 X 512 MB) 1 x 80 GB Integrated GeForce 6100 (256 MB, Shared) 20X DVD±RW 300 Watt $399. Is there any reason this computer would not be reliabe for installing and running AFNI?

The AFNI install PDF said to use a current verion of linux. Is Ubuntu 10.04 current enough? (I know Ubuntu is currently version 12).

Thanks for your help,
John Keltner
Subject Author Posted

Inexpensive computer/OS to run afni?

John Keltner October 15, 2012 05:38PM

Re: Inexpensive computer/OS to run afni?

Daniel Glen October 15, 2012 06:06PM

Peter Molfese October 15, 2012 07:05PM

Erika October 16, 2012 04:29PM