AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
Rasmus
March 19, 2013 10:41AM
Hi AFNI gurus,

I've been trying to use make_random_timing.py in a script to find optimal stimulus timing, and I wonder whether there may be a mistake in the 3dDeconvolve command that this program automatically generates (using the -save_3dd_cmd option). My goal was to iterate across multiple instances and parameters (numbers of stimuli, amount of rest period, etc.), and then run then generated 3dDecvonvolve command (which uses the -nodata option), extract the normalized standard deviation, and then sort to find the "best" stimulus timing. However, the 3dDeconvolve command that is generated uses the 'BLOCK(X,1)' stimulus waveform (for an X second duration stimulus, see below), which normalizes the convolved response to fall between 0 and 1. Thus, a slow event related timing (e.g. 1s stimulus every 15 seconds) would result in the same amplitude response as a blocked design. It seems like this would affect the normalized standard deviation reported by 3dDeconvolve -nodata, making it difficult to compare different designs. Shouldn't the response waveform be UBLOCK(X) instead? (i.e. you want the amplitude of a blocked design regressor to be larger in order to get a smaller covariance matrix and thus smaller normalized standard deviation.)

Best,
Rasmus

automatically generated by make_random_timing.py:

# -------------------------------------------------------
# create 3dDeconvolve -nodata command

3dDeconvolve \
-nodata 419 2.500 \
-polort 4 \
-concat '1D: 0 210' \
-num_stimts 3 \
-stim_times 1 stim.times.0.001_01_Positive.1D 'BLOCK(5,1)' \
-stim_label 1 Positive \