AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
June 20, 2013 01:58PM
I'm not 100% certain on the implementation of 3dMVM.

But the short answer for statistics of whether to use a series of t-tests vs. ANOVA framework comes down to "it depends" (Maxwell & Delaney, 2004, p. 165). If you are primarily interested in simple paired contrasts between groups, and feel confident that the assumption of homogeneity-of-variance is true (all three groups - A,B,C - have equal population variances), then the advantage to using an ANOVA framework is that you get a better estimate of the total variance that you can test against. The other major reason to use an ANOVA framework in this case is that you can make complex comparisons (e.g., -2 +1 +1). That said, most of my comparisons show almost identical results between 3dttest++ and 3dANOVAx/3dMVM. It's also noted in the help for 3dttest++ that the default is to use "pooled variance". I see one major advantage of 3dttest++ is that the processing time is considerably faster, particularly if you want to look at the impact of several different covariates separately.

From a reviewer's standpoint, I think you could easily justify either approach. Gang also has a nice thread about this, I can never find the original link, but here's the repost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2013 02:16PM by Peter Molfese.
Subject Author Posted

3dMVM fitt statpar in header

discoraj June 19, 2013 12:20PM

Re: 3dMVM fitt statpar in header

gang June 20, 2013 08:41AM

discoraj June 20, 2013 10:26AM

gang June 20, 2013 11:33AM

discoraj June 20, 2013 12:31PM