AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 03, 2014 07:19AM
Hello all,

I'm performing exploratory ROI analysis and would like to know whether there is any recommendation / advice regarding statistical tools that can be used to assign significance to contour-change gradients on the surface. I know that contours can be plotted on the surface in SUMA (thus plotting ‘edges’), but I would like to understand if the gradient of change on the contour edge exceeds chance (in some sense). I.e., are there zones where the change is less gradual than expected by chance.

One (perhaps too liberal) possibility might be to populate a simulated (matched) ROI with random values from Normal distribution, smooth them to match the data smoothness, and calculate the distribution of gradients next to contour edges, thus establishing a sampling distribution, but I was wondering if anyone (Ziad?) has already hacked something more systematic in the past.

Related, is there code in AFNI to calculate gradients or does one have to implement an edge detector (sobel?) using 3dcalc?

Thanks,
Oori
Subject Author Posted

SUMA: surface contour detection and some spatial stats (?)

Oori March 03, 2014 07:19AM

Re: SUMA: surface contour detection and some spatial stats (?)

ziad March 03, 2014 09:24PM