AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 04, 2014 02:21PM
It is not clear to me what this sentence means:

The averaged results are not what I expected and they look similar to me.

I take the last clause means that the averaged results from fnirt and 3dQwarp are similar. But does the first clause mean that you don't expect them to be similar, or that the results are not what you expect for some other reason?

Assuming that it is the similarity between fnirt results and 3dQwarp results that puzzles you, I can suggest 2 reasons for this. The first would be the use of the MNI152 template. This template shows very little detail outside of the major sulci (such as the Sylvian fissure), and so there is not much in the way of information present to help align finer structures. Almost any nonlinear registration method should end up giving similar average results when trying to align to such an ambiguous target.

If you did use a template target with more detail, then you might also want to add options to 3dQwarp (or fnirt) to tell it how detailed a warp to use. In your case, you have a 2 mm grid template, and the default refinement level of 3dQwarp stops at 25 voxels = 50 mm patches. This is fairly crude, and cannot register finer details. You would get more precise alignments if you used a non-blurry template at a 1 mm resolution and continued down to '-minpatch 19'.
Subject Author Posted

3dQwarp

Maryam March 03, 2014 08:59PM

Re: 3dQwarp

Emperor Zhark March 04, 2014 02:21PM

Re: 3dQwarp

Maryam March 04, 2014 04:19PM