AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
March 31, 2014 02:31PM
Hi,

I have a question about the correct approach for applying an ROI mask to a group analysis (e.g. a between-groups t-test).

I have two groups that I am comparing during a certain contrast (e.g. emotional-neutral), and I am interested in the left and right amygdala.

Using an anatomically-derived amygdala mask (as opposed to a whole brain mask) during the 3dttest++ command with two sets would achieve this, correct?

What about the use of 3dcalc as shown below, in which "a" is the anatomically derived amygdala mask and "b" is the .BRIK output of a ttest (run via 3dttest++) previously run with a whole brain mask? The number in the parentheses being subtracted from b would be the t threshold associated with the desired p value from the whole brain ttest (i.e. 2.983 is the t value associated with a .005 p value when viewing results in the whole brain ttest).

3dcalc \
-a mask_r_amygdala+tlrc.BRIK \
-b ttest_groupA-groupB_emo-neutral+tlrc.BRIK'[1]' \
-expr "a*step(b-2.983)" \
-prefix ROI_r_amygdala_emo-neutral \

Would this use of 3dcalc resample the results of the whole brain ttest to the volume of the amygdala mask? Or does it just spit out the contents of the whole brain analysis but within the bounds of the mask (not resampled for the smaller volume, and thus a result equivalent to that seen in the whole brain ttest)?

Thanks for your help!
Subject Author Posted

3dcalc & ROIs for Group Analyses

KristinBH March 31, 2014 02:31PM

Re: 3dcalc & ROIs for Group Analyses

Daniel Glen March 31, 2014 03:42PM