AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 23, 2014 02:06PM
Hello -

I have a set of subjects that, for various reasons, may have 'dead' voxels in different voxels in their EPI data, where dead voxels will very between subjects. (By 'dead' I mean unchanging and zero.) The dox for 3dttest++ say:
-mask mmm = Only compute results for voxels in the specified mask.
             ++ Voxels not in the mask will be set to 0 in the output.
             ++ If '-mask' is not used, all voxels will be tested.
             ++ HOWEVER: voxels whose input data is constant (in either set)
                 will NOT be processed and will get all zero outputs.  This
                 inaction happens because the variance of a constant set of
                 data is zero, and division by zero is forbidden by the
                 Deities of Mathematics
It's not clear to me how to interpret the 'constant input data' clause when voxel A can be constant for some subjects, but not others. It could mean:

a) If one subject has constant data for voxel A, then that subject will not be considered as having provided any data for that voxel; however, statistics will be computed on that voxel using the the remaining subjects' data, resulting in one degree of freedom less owing to the omitted subject.

b) If one subject has constant data for voxel A, then no statistics will be computed for that voxel.

c) If one subject has constant data for voxel A, but other subjects have live data for voxel A, then AFNI won't notice that voxel A is dead for that subject, and will compute statistics as normal; except that they will be skewed by including a zero data point instead of live data.

d) something else.

I believe it is within my power to create some example datasets and test this out and find out the answer, but before doing that I figured that some kind soul might just be able to tell me.
Subject Author Posted

3dttest++, masks, and constant values

shanusmagnus September 23, 2014 02:06PM

Re: 3dttest++, masks, and constant values

gang September 23, 2014 03:37PM

shanusmagnus September 23, 2014 09:10PM

Peter Molfese September 23, 2014 03:49PM