AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
October 27, 2016 12:46PM
Hi!

I have AFNI locally on my desktop computer and on our analysis servers. The analysis servers gets their large storage space by mounting a our storage server on them. This is a bit of a trade off since it is very expensive to have a huge powerful server that also have vast amounts of disk space. But on the other hand files sometimes have to travel through the network and that might slow some processes down. I think I have discovered one of these:

When running 3dFWHMx locally on my Ubuntu machine it is "fast" (quite demanding procedure but the one cpu core is used to a 100 %).
When running 3dFWHMx locally on our RedHat server it is also fast, using 100 % of one cpu core (copied the data to the actual disk-space of the server).
When running 3dFWHMx on our RedHat server but with the data in the mounted directory (like we always do, the users home folders are there) this function is really really slow. It usually only uses 2-3 % of one cpu core and sometimes it jumps up to 100 % for a short period of time and then back to 2 %.

I guess this indicates that it is a network/mounting related problem. 3dClustsim on the other hand is much faster on the server, even in the mounted directory, due to the many cores of the server. So, is 3dFWHMx functioning in a way that is extra sensitive to quite slow migration of data files? And is there anything I can do to get around this? I guess I can create a local directory on the server where the users can preform smoothness estimates and wipe it every night.

Thanks for any input!

Robin
Subject Author Posted

3dFWHMx - Mounted drive issues

Robin October 27, 2016 12:46PM

Re: 3dFWHMx - Mounted drive issues

Bob Cox October 27, 2016 01:53PM

Re: 3dFWHMx - Mounted drive issues

Robin October 27, 2016 04:22PM