AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
May 06, 2015 05:41PM
I suspect your problem is that there's no whitespace between your lines. Which is to say, when you write this:
-dset 1 1 1 '3dcalc(...)'\
-dset 1 2 1 '3dcalc(...)'
the shell is removing the backslash-newline pair to get this:
-dset 1 1 1 '3dcalc(...)'-dset 1 2 1 '3dcalc(...)'
            +----------------+
               all one word
If this is indeed the problem, the name of the dataset that AFNI is choking on will end with "-dset", and you can fix it by adding a space before the backslash (or at the beginning of the next line, or both).

Also, while this is probably not the cause of this error, in general you shouldn't use quotes inside the 3dcalc( ... ) dataset:
          Quoted             Quoted                  Quoted
       +-----------+         +----+              +------------+
3dTcat '3dcalc( -a 'fred+orig' -b 'ginger+orig[0]' -expr a*b )'
                                              ^^^
will blow up under tcsh or under bash with the failglob option set because the subbrick selector isn't quoted.

Because the 3dcalc(...) string is parsed by AFNI and not the shell, the solution to this is to leave the inner quotes off, not to change them to double quotes:
                   shell sees this as one word
       +--------------------------------------------------+
3dTcat '3dcalc( -a fred+orig -b ginger+orig[0] -expr a*b )'
                ++ +-------+ ++ +------------+ +---+ +-+
                     AFNI splits this into six words

This means that it's not possible to use a dataset with a space in its name in an embedded 3dcalc(...) command.

ijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 05:51PM by Isaac Schwabacher.
Subject Author Posted

any suggestion on my 3dcalc?

Juan May 06, 2015 05:01PM

Re: any suggestion on my 3dcalc?

gang May 06, 2015 05:09PM

Juan May 06, 2015 06:05PM

Isaac Schwabacher May 06, 2015 05:41PM

rick reynolds May 07, 2015 08:40AM