AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
February 13, 2017 11:27AM
Hi Gang,

I have a few questions about setting up 3dLME. I have two within-subjects variables (Condition: Standard vs. Reward; and Emotion: Happy vs. Neutral) and one continuous covariate of interest (anxiety severity). I also want to control for four covariates of non-interest: age, race (non-white vs. white), IQ and gender.

Here are my questions:

1. As I understand LMEs, I need to include random slopes for the two sources of non-independence, namely the two within-subjects variables (Condition and Emotion). However, previous discussions on the message board seem to suggest that I should only model the random intercept, and that I would only include a random slope if the within-subjects variable changed for each subject in each condition (e.g., reaction times). First, should I only estimate a random intercept? And if so, how does the model account for the non-independence caused by the repeated measures of Condition and Emotion?
2. I'm mainly interested in the interactions involving anxiety (Cond:Anx, Emo:Anx, and Cond:Emo:Anx). These are automatically generated by the model. However, I'm also interested in the effect of anxiety at each of the within-subject levels. To model these effects, I ran the four GLTs below. Is that what I'm modeling? Or am I modeling, for example, the effect of the standard condition at the average anxiety score?

Here's my current script:
3dLME \
-prefix LME.nii \
-jobs 4 \
-mask mask.group_anat.nii \
-model "Cond*Emo*Anx+age+race+IQ+gen" \
-qVars 'Anx,age,race,IQ,gen' \
-qVarCenters '23.3,32.94,0,97.65,0' \
-ranEff '~1' \
-SS_type 3 \
-num_glt 4 \
-gltLabel 1 'Standard_Anx' -gltCode 1 'Cond : 1*Standard Anx : ' \
-gltLabel 2 'Reward_Anx' -gltCode 2 'Cond : 1*Reward Anx : ' \
-gltLabel 3 'Happy_Anx' -gltCode 3 'Emo : 1*Happy Anx : ' \
-gltLabel 4 'Neutral_Anx' -gltCode 4 'Emo : 1*Neutral Anx : '  \
-dataTable \
Subj   Cond       Emo     Anx     age   race   IQ     gen    InputFile \
s1     Standard   Happy   13      45    -0.5   109   -0.5    stats.s1.nii'[Standard_Happy_GLT#0_Coef]' \
s2     Standard   Happy   22      35    -0.5   117   -0.5    stats.s2.nii'[Standard_Happy_GLT#0_Coef]' \
s1     Standard   Neutral 13      45    -0.5   109   -0.5    stats.s1.nii'[Standard_Neutral_GLT#0_Coef]' \
s2     Standard   Neutral 22      35    -0.5   117   -0.5    stats.s2.nii'[Standard_Neutral_GLT#0_Coef]' \
s1     Reward     Happy   13      45    -0.5   109   -0.5    stats.s1.nii'[Reward_Happy_GLT#0_Coef]' \
s2     Reward     Happy   22      35    -0.5   117   -0.5    stats.s2.nii'[Reward_Happy_GLT#0_Coef]' \
s1     Reward     Neutral 13      45    -0.5   109   -0.5    stats.s1.nii'[Reward_Neutral_GLT#0_Coef]' \
s2     Reward     Neutral 22      35    -0.5   117   -0.5    stats.s2.nii'[Reward_Neutral_GLT#0_Coef]' \
Subject Author Posted

3dLME Setup

pdeming February 13, 2017 11:27AM

Re: 3dLME Setup

gang February 13, 2017 01:56PM

pdeming February 13, 2017 03:44PM

pdeming February 13, 2017 06:33PM

gang February 14, 2017 08:07AM