AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
December 10, 2015 08:25PM
Hi MH, I don't come here often, so sorry for the delayed response.

RetroTS is more fancy and handles RVT too, so it likely has the edge in effectiveness, and as Rick mentioned it's a popular option particularly for resting state fMRI by the sounds of it. However, I still use 3dretroicor often because it's easier for me to use in some cases, although I primarily do relatively straightforward task fMRI analysis.

To answer your question, 3dretroicor wants a column of numbers in a text file, i.e. an AFNI-standard "1D file", for respiration and/or cardiac inputs. The 1D physio data set(s) must cover the same time span as the fMRI data set, with a suitably high sampling frequency (assumed to be a constant sampling rate). It's usually fine to pass the respiration data in without any preprocessing. If the pulse data are quite distorted you should clean it up yourself first (detrend, denoise, etc.), because 3dretroicor uses a simplistic constant threshold (see -threshold) to isolate time periods where separate peaks (local maxima) occur. In fact, instead of the raw pulse, I just use the peripheral gating output from our scanner which does a decent job of peak-finding if the pulse signal is good enough--it's essentially a train of spikes where "5" indicates a peak. You can use the -cardphase output to help determine if the pulse peak detection is working for you.

Regards,
Fred
Subject Author Posted

3dretroicor for resting state functional imaging data

mxh899 November 18, 2015 11:36AM

Re: 3dretroicor for resting state functional imaging data

rick reynolds November 20, 2015 09:55AM

mxh899 November 23, 2015 04:08PM

rick reynolds November 23, 2015 09:22PM