AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 07, 2016 09:52AM
hi everyone

I am posting to this thread because I have basically the same questions. I know Bob has answered similar questions elsewhere but I cannot find answers to these particular ones.

Why are there MORE voxels required to meed 1-sided thresholding here?

I think this has to do with the difference between the terms 'one-sided' and 'one-tailed' as it applies to using 3dClustSim and then thresholding in the AFNI viewer and using Clusterize. An explanation of this would go a long way for me, 3dFoodie and maybe(?) a few other people as well. As Bob notes, SPM does one-sided thresholding but it appears to also do one-tailed tests, so that the critical t value it gives for, say, p=0.001 is the critical t for p = 0.002 in a two-tailed test with the same df and therefore the cluster size thresholds are more liberal.

My questions, drawn from the above posts, are:

1) When clustering an F-map resulting from an ANOVA, which value to use? My instinct says the one-sided, since all Fs are nonnegative.

2) If I am interested in both positive and negative effects in a t-test, and I want to carry it out such that my overall thresholding reflects a two-tailed test at say p < 0.001 (in other words, that I am putting 0.0005 into each tail), then which type of thresholding and what critical t-value should I use?

I'm trying to be as clear as I can, and I hope these questions seem reasonable.

We give you lots of choices -- the price of which is that you have to understand what is going on in order to make a correct decision.

A corollary of which is maybe that the more choices you have the less you feel like you understand what is going on (always a good thing!).

James
Subject Author Posted

basic 3dClustSim question

Mike January 13, 2016 12:52AM

Re: basic 3dClustSim question

rick reynolds January 19, 2016 10:14AM

jkeidel April 07, 2016 09:52AM

rick reynolds April 07, 2016 01:24PM

Emperor Zhark January 19, 2016 11:20AM