AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 19, 2016 11:14AM
Hello AFNI board,

I have ended up working with a, for me, non-trivial design and I need help with the group level analysis. Especially the ANOVA aspect.
The design (not mine) is like this:
We have 20 subjects which are conditioned by giving them, in two sessions, a drug in combination of viewing a certain picture and a placebo when viewing another picture. To balance this the background coupled with the drug is shifted between subjects. Then, sometime after the conditioning, an fMRI experiment is preformed where they are shown both Picture 1 and Picture 2 (one at the time). So we end up with:

10 Subjects who have Pictue1_Drug and Picture2_Placebo
And
10 Subjects who have Picture1_Placebo and Picture2_Drug

The main interest here is simply the contrast between viewing the Drug and Placebo picture and this can be done with e.g. 3dttest++. But we do need to control for the different motives of Picture 1 and Picture 2. So, we would like to see if there is an interaction between the Drug/PBO factor and the Group factor (i.e. just make sure that there were no overall "liking bias" for e.g. Picture 1).

First we thought about using 3dANOVA3. Since we basically have 3 factors:
Factor 1 = Drugs. Levels = RealDrug and Placebo
Factor 2 = Group. Levels = Group that got drug coupled with Picture1 and Group that got drug coupled with Picuture2.
Factor 3 = Subject. Levels =10
(Not 20, right?)
I guess this can be called a “Mixed effects ANOVA with one between subject factor (Group) and one within subject factor (Drug/PBO)”?

But, since we would like to see the main effect of factor A (Drug vs Placebo) and the interaction (AxB) we cannot use 3dANOVA3 since the option:
–fa
is not available for –type 3. Type three is for A = Fixed, B = Random and C = Random. Which is what we have since Drug vs PBO (within subject, fixed), Group1 vs Group2 (between groups, random) and subject (random).

We want to have a map where we see the main effect of the Drug/Placebo factor and also make sure that there, in these areas, are no interaction between it and the group factor (since that can mean our results are due to a “liking bias” towards certain picture).

I have by a college been suggested to use 3dMVM, and that seems to do what we want. Is this a good option? Then I would need to create the main effect of factor A (Drug –PBO), main effect of factor B (Group 1 –Group2) and then the interaction between factor A and B?

If this is a good option, would the between group variance (bsVars) be Group and within subject variance (wsVars) be Drug/PBo?

Many thanks!

Robin

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2016 11:22AM by Robin.
Subject Author Posted

Voxelwise analysis: Mixed model ANOVA

Robin April 19, 2016 11:14AM

Re: Voxelwise analysis: Mixed model ANOVA

gang April 19, 2016 12:10PM

Robin April 19, 2016 12:24PM

paul.hamilton April 19, 2016 02:51PM

gang April 19, 2016 03:12PM