AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
May 25, 2016 10:05PM
Hey AFNI folks,

I'm running a resting-state functional connectivity study and am trying to follow the methods outlined in a paper by Power et al. 2014 (doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2013.08.048). As a result, I am wanting to do bandpass filtering after regression of nuisance variables (motion, csf, etc.) has been carried out.

I do the regression using 3dDeconvolve and use the -censor flag to designate what volumes to use/ignore in the regression. Although no sub-bricks are actually removed, the output of the -errts residual file has all zero voxels for sub-bricks that were censored. All is good (I think) so far...

Next step, I run 3dBandpass to do the filtering. After this, every sub-brick (including the ones that were previously all zeros due to censoring) are filled in, with what at least appears to be, reasonably looking data. My question is: is this a trustworthy way of running the bandpass filtering? Do those all-zero sub-bricks totally screw up the filtering or is AFNI doing something smart behind the scenes to deal with this? Finally, if this is not a kosher way of doing the filtering, how would you recommend moving forward in terms of filtering the data? Should I use the 1d_tool.py to extract only the non-censored timepoints and do the filtering only on those sub-bricks? This also doesn't seem right...

Sorry for the rant! Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Subject Author Posted

3dBandpass with censored timepoints

Amy Frithsen May 25, 2016 10:05PM

Re: 3dBandpass with censored timepoints

Bob Cox May 26, 2016 08:33AM

Amy Frithsen May 26, 2016 10:16AM

ptaylor May 27, 2016 07:45PM

Amy Frithsen May 31, 2016 06:51PM