AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
July 03, 2016 11:53PM
Hi all,

I had a question regarding the interpretation of the beta weights produced by 3dDeconvolve. For my experiment, I have analyzed each subject's breathhold data in 3dDeconvolve using the following script:

3dDeconvolve -input 101.breathhold.BOLD.nophymotcorr.tcat.scale.nii \
-polort 2 \
-num_stimts 1 \
-stim_times 1 breathhold_stimulus.1D 'BLOCK(15,1)' \
-stim_label 1 breathhold \
-iresp 1 BH_test.101 \
-jobs 2 \
-fout -tout -rout -bout -x1D X_test.xmat.1D -xjpeg X_test.jpg \
-fitts fitts_test.101 \
-errts errts_test.101 \
-bucket stats_test.101

For the stim_times I have a breathhold_stimulus.1D file that has the breathhold onset times, plus a delay that represents the average amount of time it took for the BOLD signal to peak after each breathhold for that subject. For example, a participant might have a BOLD signal that peaks 8.7 seconds on average after each breathhold. Their stimulus times file would read 43.7 90.7 137.7 184.7 231.7.

Now I am extracting mean values from the breathhold coefficient subbrick of the resulting stats file from different ROIs using 3dROIstats. What does this number represent? If I understand correctly, 3dDeconvolve runs a GLM on each voxel and estimates the beta weight. I also understand that a beta weight is the average amount by which the dependent variable increases when the independent variable increases one standard deviation and other independent variables are held constant. But what does this mean in this context? What unit is this amount measured in? Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Best,
Alain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2016 12:08AM by Alain.
Subject Author Posted

Interpreting 3dDeconvolve stats values for a breathhold task

Alain July 03, 2016 11:53PM

Re: Interpreting 3dDeconvolve stats values for a breathhold task

gang July 05, 2016 04:00PM

Alain July 07, 2016 11:51AM

gang July 08, 2016 09:00AM

Alain July 08, 2016 12:47PM