AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
July 07, 2016 05:10AM
Dear AFNI experts,

I have previously run a dataset through the afni_proc.py pipeline, with affine TT spatial normalization.
For a new collaboration project based on these data, I need to convert all the pre-GLM data to MNI space (EPI+T1). Could anyone point me to the quickest/best way to do it (I have 45 subjects, with 6 EPI runs per subject)?

More specifically, would you advise to Qwarp the original data from native space to MNI, or could I just go from the TT-space data to MNI (perhaps getting better results this way, as the images are already quite closely aligned)?

As for the T1 image (1mm-isotropic), I have the following files:
- t1+orig: original
- t1_al_keep+orig: skull-stripped, aligned to EPI data
- t1_al_keep+tlrc: skull-stripped, aligned to EPI data, and affine-warped to TT
- anat_final+tlrc: same as t1_al_keep+tlrc

Plus various transformation matrices:
- t1_al_keep_mat.aff12.1D: from T1 to EPI
- t1_al_keep_e2a_only_mat.aff12.1D: from EPI to T1??
- t1_al_keep.Xaff12.1D: from t1_al to TT??
- t1_al_keep.Xat.1D

Note that I don't have a non-skullstripped version of either the EPI-aligned T1, or the EPI-aligned TT-warped T1 (but I can easily make them by applying the appropriate transformation matrices)

For the EPI data, I have the following files:
- pb01.subj.r[123456].tshift+orig: slice-timing corrected EPI data (6 runs)
- mat.r0[123456].vr.aff12.1D: volreg matrices for each EPI run
- pb02.subj.r0[123456].volreg: TT-transformed EPI data

Just to get my feet wet, I tried to launch an MNI non-linear warping of a non-skullstripped version of a T1 (aligned to EPI) volume, with the command:

auto_warp.py -base MNI152_T1_2009c+tlrc -input t1_aligned+orig. -skull_strip_input yes

but that seems to be taking a really long time (1 hour and counting).

**** UPDATE ****

The Qwarp has finished and the results look really good. I also tried to apply the warp field to the slice-timing corrected EPI runs with a command like the following:

3dNwarpApply -source pb01.subj.r01.tshift+orig. -nwarp 'anat.un.aff.qw_WARP.nii anat.un.aff.Xat.1D mat.r01.vr.aff12.1D' -master anat.un.aff.qw_WARP.nii -newgrid 2.0 -prefix ep_r1_Qwarped

which works well too (it took me a while, though, to understand that I needed to sandwich the "anat.un.aff.Xat.1D" matrix between the qwarp and the volreg matrices: in the 3dQwarp help file, it says that if you use the -allineate option, " then you do NOT catenate the affine and nonlinear warps in 3dNwarpApply, since the output nonlinear warp will ALREADY have be catenated with the affine warp; maybe the help of auto_warp.py should be updated to reflect the correct concatenation).

But am I on the right track here, generally speaking? Could I shave off some time by using the already skullstripped T1 (from old @auto_tlrc) as input to auto_warp.py?

Alternatively, is there a quicker way to go from TT to MNI that trades off some of the quality of the Qwarp results with a much quicker computation?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

giuseppe

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2016 11:10AM by gpagnon.
Subject Author Posted

Quickest way to MNI-Qwarp a set of TT-normalized EPI+T1

gpagnon July 07, 2016 05:10AM

Re: Quickest way to MNI-Qwarp a set of TT-normalized EPI+T1

gpagnon July 07, 2016 11:57AM