AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
February 07, 2017 07:15AM
Hi, Juan-

Interesting that "one more question" comes enumerated as 1, 2, 3....

OK, to it then:

1) the "-inset" can be any time series data: task, resting, or anything else.

1b) "4D" data = four dimensional data, essentially, any time series data set. Three dimensions are spatial (x, y, z), and since each whole brain volume was acquired many times (t = 0, 1*TR, 2*TR, 3*TR, ....), there is another dimension along the time axis, t.

1c) Yes, make sense to do per subject.

1d) As to what time series you use, I guess it depends-- it should probably be your "final" time series; if you are using 3dDeconvolve to regress out motion, low-order polynomials (i.e., low frequency "base line"), and any other regressors of non-interest, then you might want to use the *output* from 3dDeconvolve. Using standard afni_proc.py nomenclature (hopefully you are making your life easier by building your processing with Rick's wonderful program!), for resting data this would probably be the errts* file, and for task-based data, the fitts* file.

1e) Sure, you could calculate the mean of different quantities. You could also go the multivariate modeling route, using Gang's 3dMVM function. See, for example:
[afni.nimh.nih.gov]
afni.nimh.nih.gov/pub/dist/papers/ASF_2015_draft_BCinpress.pdf

2) Yep. A single ROI is just a set of voxels having the same integer value (they need not be contiguous), and you can certainly construct an "ROI map" in the manner described.

3) I believe you are asking what to use for the outer/whole brain limits across your group? You could probably use either method you suggest: TT_N27 mask limits if you've warped everyone there, or the 3dmask_tool 70% overlap of individual masks. Marginally, the latter seems a bit preferable to me, deriving the boundaries from your subjects themselves and their actual data (postalignment).

--pt
Subject Author Posted

3dNetCorr: Whole brain connectivity

Juan January 26, 2017 11:06PM

Re: 3dNetCorr: Whole brain connectivity

ptaylor January 27, 2017 07:35AM

Juan January 27, 2017 12:31PM

ptaylor January 27, 2017 12:52PM

Juan February 07, 2017 03:58AM