AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
February 07, 2017 06:44PM
Hi, AFNI experts,
Here I have a quick question on ROI analysis. According to my understanding, there are at least threee ways to do the ROI analysis. 1). We can get the ROI coordinates (x,y,z) from the fMRI data analysis, say, a t-test (Reward vs. noreward). Let us have the left side Anterior Insula as an example: Left AntInsula, (-28, 20, -1); 2). Based on the classic literature or meta-analysis. Say I also get the coordinates for Left AntInsula, (-28, 20, -1); 3). We can define a ROI based on anatomy using the Talairach atlas provided with the AFNI package. So this ROI is an AntInsula mask.

For the first one case, my ROI analysis steps include
1) a radius a 5-mm radius sphere centered on the peak voxel was used (3dcalc step).
2) 3dfractionize, using the template from the contrast, e.g., reward vs. noreward.
3) Threshold the output from 3dfractionized step, using the 3dcalc.
4) 3dROIstats.
5) Using 3dDeconlve and extract the signal data.

While for the case 2, we only can use the analysis steps 1, 2, 4 and 5. That is to say, we do not do the threshold step. If this is correct, then with the same coordinates, the signal change from analysis approach 1 and 2 would be different.

While for the case 3, further, there is no step 1. That is to say, we only use the steps 2, 4 and 5. Am I correct?

Any comments for my analysis?
J
Subject Author Posted

On ROI analysis

Juan February 07, 2017 06:44PM

Re: On ROI analysis

gang February 08, 2017 11:05AM