AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
February 12, 2017 01:47PM
Hi Rick,

I am sorry for the careless comment given by myself in the align_epi_anat.py step firstly. What I really want to mean is that the aim of this step is to align the original anat (3d_anat+card+orig) to the EPI. And the aligned result is saved in dataset 3d_anat+card_ns+orig and the forward transforming matrix from EPI to 3d_anat+card+orig was written to file 3d_anat+card_al_junk_mat.aff12.1D.

Transformation matrices: ANAT_al_mat.aff12.1D: matrix to align anatomy to the EPI where the uppercase "ANAT" and "EPI" are replaced by the prefix names of the input datasets, and the suffix can be changed from "_al" as a user option . — AFNI help of align_epi_anat.py

However, this step don't change the original anat inputted (3d_anat+card+orig). That is, 3d_anat+card_ns+orig is aligned with the EPI (the first functional volume ) but not 3d_anat+card+orig. If this step changed 3d_anat+card+orig (I don't think this can happen), it would not change the forward transforming matrix. The inverse of the matrix (transforming matrix from the original anat i.e. 3d_anat+card+orig to EPI) in 3d_anat+card_al_junk_mat.aff12.1 is applied to EPI later. So the final version EPI is aligned to original anat (3d_anat+card+orig) before it is aligned to TT_N27+tlrc later. But the final version anat i.e.3d_anat+card_ns+tlrc is aligned with the first functional volume before.
EPI:
EPI_OtherVolume align EPI_run1_volume1 align 3d_anat+card+orig 
align TT_N27+tlrc —> the final version EPI 
Anat:
3d_anat+card+orig align EPI_run1_volume1 —> 3d_anat+card_ns+orig
3d_anat+card_ns+orig align TT_N27+tlrc —> 3d_anat+card_ns+tlrc
I don't know whether I express my meaning clearly now.

Thank you Rick!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 02:23PM by Jogi Ho.
Subject Author Posted

Why are the EPI and Anat aligned to different bases in defaut proc.py?

Ren Po February 11, 2017 06:18PM

Re: Why are the EPI and Anat aligned to different bases in defaut proc.py?

rick reynolds February 12, 2017 10:13AM

Ren Po February 12, 2017 01:47PM

rick reynolds February 12, 2017 02:02PM

Ren Po February 12, 2017 02:56PM

rick reynolds February 12, 2017 08:07PM