AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
July 05, 2017 11:59PM
Thank you for correcting my misunderstanding of 3dvolreg's function. I misread the afni_proc.py documentation.

Thank you as well for pointing me to @snapshot_volreg. This is an amazing tool! I tried this out on one processed image that was result of linear affine and nonlinear transformations on the same scan.

I ran:
@snapshot_volreg anat_final.SUBJECT_ID_10000000+tlrc   \
                               final_epi_vr_base+tlrc

The resulting jpegs are attached here. I wanted to ask how to interpret the images. The large lateral ventricles and sulci on superior parts of the brain both look fine (although the nonlinear is slightly better in my opinion).

But is there something fundamentally wrong with the registration? In the top row, I see lines (circles) outlines from the final_epi_vr_base+tlrc file. Is this typical?

This is from the documentation for @snapshot_volreg states:

"The edges from a typical EPI dataset are usually broken up and
do not completely outline sulci, ventricles, etc.  In judging
the quality of alignment, I usually start by looking at the
outlines of the large lateral ventricles -- if those are very
wrong, the alignment is not good.  After that, I look at the
sulci in the superior part of the brain -- if the EPI edges
there seem to be mostly aligned with the sulci, then I am
usually happy.  The base of the brain, where lots of EPI
dropout happens, often does not not show good edge alignment
even when the rest of the brain alignment looks good."

It does not provide references to circles that can be seen in both the linear affine and nonlinear warps. At the same time, the circles are towards the inferior part of the brain in both cases, with documentation stating that EPI dropouts occurring at base of the brain.

Thank you again!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2017 09:19AM by cmehta.
Attachments:
open | download - example.jpg (249.9 KB)
Subject Author Posted

Nonlinear vs. linear registration

cmehta July 05, 2017 08:04PM

Re: Nonlinear vs. linear registration

ptaylor July 05, 2017 09:41PM

cmehta July 05, 2017 10:54PM

ptaylor July 05, 2017 11:28PM

Re: Nonlinear vs. linear registration Attachments

cmehta July 05, 2017 11:59PM