AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 16, 2017 12:07PM
Thanks for your kind words about AFNI. I designed the AFNI package (if you can call my semi-random process "design") to be flexible and allow for lots of different usages. For a user who wants/needs this diversity, and is willing to learn what it takes to use it -- a coding point of view, sort of -- AFNI is pretty useful.

Re-doing the GUI is a lot more work than you might think. I developed it, starting in 1994, with no clear vision in mind. Over the years, a lot of features have been glommed into it. To do it over would require a top-down series of decisions about what features are useful -- all the features were added for some reason, so ejecting one means that someone somewhere loses something. Then it would require designing the look/feel of the new interface, and then programming it afresh. It took me 2+ months to get the first version of the GUI to do something useful, and I am (or was then) an extremely fast and capable programmer. I figure that *if* I could find someone good to work on it, then at least a year would go by before it was reasonably capable (by my standards). I personally cannot stomach doing that kind of work anymore.
Subject Author Posted

Useability

AFNInewbiePhD August 16, 2017 11:36AM

Re: Useability

Bob Cox August 16, 2017 12:07PM

Re: Useability

ptaylor August 16, 2017 02:08PM