AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 31, 2017 11:41AM
Hello AFNI gurus!
tl;dr: What is the best way to remove spikes in fMRI time series that occur as a result of using a clustered acquisition protocol?

We are running an auditory study using a clustered acquisition protocol. Each trial consists of a 10s scanner OFF period, followed by a 16s scanner ON period. The auditory stimulus that we will be modeling is presented 1500ms into the scanner OFF period, and lasts 7s.

A large spike occurs at the start of each scanner ON period and lasts up to 2 TRS (4s) until the signal reaches steady state, which I am trying to get rid of.

3dDespike doesn't seem to help much (DespikedTS.png attached). So now I'm looking for a way to regress out the spike from the raw time series. I have a couple of silent trials, where no stimulus is presented in scanner OFF period. The spike in these trials is (presumably) "pure" and not muddled with any task-related activity. I'm trying to use the average shape of this pure spike across the silent trials to regress it out.

Consequently, I have a couple of questions:
1. Is it reasonable to treat this averaged pure spike as an "HRF" to use for convolution at the start of each acquisition period? If so, is there a way to do this (apart from using the -WAV option in 3dDeconvolve, and making the HRF generated by WAV look like the spike)? Using 3dTfitter, perhaps?
2. The spike looks fairly different in different voxels. If I were to regress the spike out, would it be possible to use a voxel-by-voxel measure of the spike to regress out?

Thank you,
Mrinmayi
Attachments:
open | download - DespikedTS.png (60.7 KB)
Subject Author Posted

Spikes in timeseries from clustered acquisition Attachments

mrinmayi August 31, 2017 11:41AM