AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
May 04, 2018 10:07AM
Hi Peter--

I'll provide one interpretation of Rujing's question in light of something we're also interested in. I think, in this case, Rujing is interested in asking a question about prediction at the group or between-subjects level with resting-state data. There are two ways using 3dsvm that I could see going forward with such a question, one of which you already allude to. Can you let us know if you think either way is rational at all or if one is more rational than another?

Here goes. Let's say there are two groups, A and B, of forty subjects each and we have 200 TRs of rsfMRI data for each subject:

Alternative 1: As you suggest, use 3dRSFC to get for each subject a volume with a connectivity index (e.g., fALFF) at each voxel. Then use 40 subjects (20 each from Group A and B) for training and 40 for testing. To do this concatenate 3dRSFC output for each training subject into a single, 40 volume -trainvol and do the same for the test cohort (-testvol). In this case, the .1D -trainlabels file would have 40 rows of 0s (Group A member volumes) and 1s (Group B member volumes). Then unleash hyperplane hell.

Alternative 2: For training, use all 200 TRs of rsfMRI data for each subject (not clear why one would want to, but who knows) so that we concatenate the training cohort's data into a single, 200x40=8000 volume -trainvol with corresponding 8000 row -trainlabel file where each row indicates whether a given TR came from a Group A or Group B member.

To restate my question from above, are either/both of these smart ways to use 3dsvm for group prediction?

Additionally, if one were working with a relatively small between-groups prediction dataset and wanted to use leave-one-out cross validation then I assume one could simply loop multiple times through the above alternatives leaving one subject out of the training set and using that subject as the single member of the testing set, yes?

Thanks for insights/guidance...

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 10:10AM by paul.hamilton.
Subject Author Posted

support vector machine in resting state data

charujing123 March 08, 2018 08:46PM

Re: support vector machine in resting state data

Peter Molfese March 09, 2018 09:43AM

paul.hamilton May 04, 2018 10:07AM

Peter Molfese May 07, 2018 11:13AM

paul.hamilton May 08, 2018 02:50AM