AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 02, 2020 07:14PM
Hi all,
I have a quick question about how 3dDeconvolve computes the T statistic and the F statistic of a regressor and the R2 of the model.
In particular, is there any difference between having a set of regressor specified as a baseline model (i.e. with -ortvec or -stim_base) versus specifying all the regressors as stimuli (i.e. with -stim_file but without -stim_base)?

As an example, I have a stimulus of interest in a file "A.1D" and then six motion regressors (in a file "M.par").
I could set up 3dDeconvolve specifying a baseline model as:
3dDeconvolve -input data.nii.gz  -num_stimts 1 \
-ortvec M.par motion_params \
-stim_file 1 A.1D -stim_label 1 stim_A \
[...]

Or without a baseline model, as:
3dDeconvolve -input data.nii.gz  -num_stimts 7 \
-stim_file 1 A.1D -stim_label 1 stim_A \
-stim_file 2 M.par[1] -stim_label 2 motion_params_1 \
-stim_file 3 M.par[2] -stim_label 3 motion_params_2 \
-stim_file 4 M.par[3] -stim_label 4 motion_params_3 \
-stim_file 5 M.par[4] -stim_label 5 motion_params_4 \
-stim_file 6 M.par[5] -stim_label 6 motion_params_5 \
-stim_file 7 M.par[6] -stim_label 7 motion_params_6 \
[...]

Would there be a difference in R2 between these two calls, as well as in the F and T statistics of the first regressor ("stim_A")?
I suspect that there would not be a difference in R2, but there would be a difference in F and T - but I would like to double check.

Of note, I know that the recommended way is to specify motion parameters in the baseline model. However, I'm asking about this difference because in case of high collinearity between motion parameters and signal of interest it wouldn't be unreasonable to evaluate a model fit having all the regressors treated in the same way, as it would be tricky to estimate what part of the variance could be assigned to which regressor.

Thank you,
Stefano Moia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 07:16PM by smoia.
Subject Author Posted

Computation of R^2 and F-stats in 3dDeconvolve considering vs not considering a baseline model

smoia April 02, 2020 07:14PM

Re: Computation of R^2 and F-stats in 3dDeconvolve considering vs not considering a baseline model

RWCox April 03, 2020 09:42AM

Re: Computation of R^2 and F-stats in 3dDeconvolve considering vs not considering a baseline model Attachments

smoia April 03, 2020 10:19AM