AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 01, 2018 09:04PM
Dear AFNI experts,

I have a question in generating group-level maps of the functional correlation maps that is highly positively skewed.

I basically followed the steps of simple correlation analysis from seed region time series during task performance (https://afni.nimh.nih.gov/SimAna)
1) original volumes were cleaned by subtracting baseline/nuisance activity included activity from ventricles, white-matter, signal drift, head-motions.
2) From the clean data, I ran 3dDeconvolve with with the time seed activity from seed regions with removing signal drift (polort) / head motions.
3) Based on the correlations / R^2 values, I transformed into correlation Z-maps.
4) I didn't apply any bandpass filter on the data.

For each individual participant, I have seed-based Fisher's z-transformed correlation map. The resulting Z-map ranges about [–0.32, 1.02] or so, but my correlation maps are highly positively skewed consistently all participants -- except a few regions (around ventricles) showing negative correlations, I see mostly positive correlations across the whole brain. Because mostly all regions exhibit positive correlations in all participants, I get a significant group map from 3dttest++ on z-maps almost all places in the brain (i.e., group map from 3dttest++ against 0).

It is possible the single-subject correlation Z-map can be just wrong. But if this is just the case that they are really positively skewed (mostly showing positive correlations) -- I was wondering how I should go about finding a group-level cluster in the dataset that is not normally distributed around 0.

Thanks in advance!
Best, Michelle
Subject Author Posted

Seed-based functional correlation -- group-level stats

sjmich September 01, 2018 09:04PM

Re: Seed-based functional correlation -- group-level stats

gang September 04, 2018 10:51AM