AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
November 26, 2018 11:30AM
Hi, Sri,

I've used these "sparse sampling" designs (where the stimuli are presented in silent gaps between scans) for a couple of studies, and I've always just specified the stimulus onset times (using the stim_times flag in 3dDeconvolve) and the HRF function I want to use -- that is, you don't have to tell 3dDeconvolve explicitly that you had a sparse sampling design. For instance, here's an excerpt from a 3dDeconvolve command I ran recently, where the onset times for three conditions (between, target, and within) are convolved with a gamma function to estimate the HRF.

-stim_times 1 stimuli/between.1D 'GAM' \
-stim_label 1 between \
-stim_times 2 stimuli/target.1D 'GAM' \
-stim_label 2 target \
-stim_times 3 stimuli/within.1D 'GAM' \
-stim_label 3 within \

This is also consistent with the approach used in the literature that I've read -- here are a couple of references that might be helpful:
Guediche, S., Salvata, C., & Blumstein, S. E. (2013). Temporal cortex reflects effects of sentence context on phonetic processing. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 25(5), 706-718.
Myers, E. B. (2007). Dissociable effects of phonetic competition and category typicality in a phonetic categorization task: An fMRI investigation. Neuropsychologia, 45(7), 1463-1473.

Cheers,
Sahil

--
Sahil Luthra, Ph.D. (he/him/his)
Postdoctoral Researcher, Carnegie Mellon University
email: sahil.bamba.luthra@gmail.com
Subject Author Posted

Clustered Acquisition and 3dDeconvolve

srikanth damera November 15, 2018 11:19PM

Re: Clustered Acquisition and 3dDeconvolve

srikanth damera November 26, 2018 07:41AM

Re: Clustered Acquisition and 3dDeconvolve