AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
December 28, 2020 01:57AM
Hi, Experts,

I previously created a mask with the method below, as a mask is required for the group analysis, e.g,. 3dttest++

3dmask_tool -input Sub*/*BrainMask+tlrc.HEAD \
-prefix mask_overlap.7 \
-frac 0.7

Sub*/*BrainMask+tlrc.HEAD stands for the brainmask from all subjects. All in all, this step generates a mask for the 3dttest++ and/or ANOVA2 analysis. Suppose my output is, Reward_vs_Neutral_ShapeNonfixed+tlrc.BRIK, Reward_vs_Neutral_ShapeNonfixed+tlrc.HEAD

I am not very confident with this step. Is this approach fine? Is this mask great for me to track all activation in grey matter and brain stem?

I got to know that there is another approach to make the mask, but not very clear.

For instance, people use the TT_N27_grey_seg.nii.gz (get it from the TT_N27+tlrc, using the FAST tool, FSL). Could you advise which method below is correct? I was thinking that the 2nd line is correct. Right? I am not clear why some use the 1st line.

3dcalc -a TT_N27_grey_seg.nii.gz -prefix TT_N27_grey_seg_short -datum short -expr 'a*step(3-a)'
3dcalc -a TT_N27_grey_seg.nii.gz -prefix TT_N27_grey_seg_short -datum short -expr a

Then they use the line below to get the final template,
3dfractionize -template ./Reward_vs_Neutral_ShapeNonfixed+tlrc. -clip 0.2 -preserve -prefix TT_N27_grey_seg_short_F -input TT_N27_grey_seg_short+tlrc.

I am also confused why here the template need be the output from the group analysis (i.e, Reward_vs_Neutral_ShapeNonfixed+tlrc). It looks like a circular argument, as we want to get a mask for the next group analysis (e.g., 3dttest++ and/or ANOVA2). But here the template is from the group analysis output. Something must be wrong. Any good pointers?

Thank you for your time,
J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2020 02:01AM by Juan.
Subject Author Posted

On mask preparation

Juan December 28, 2020 01:57AM

Re: On mask preparation

ptaylor December 31, 2020 09:28AM

Re: On mask preparation

Juan January 03, 2021 07:21PM