AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
January 03, 2021 07:21PM
Hi, Taylor,

Thank you very very much - I have read it very carefully. Very informative and professional. Two further questions:

---> this one says take the part of the input dset and make a mask wherever it has a value >3, and multiply that mask region by the actual value there (output type: short):
3dcalc -a TT_N27_grey_seg.nii.gz -prefix TT_N27_grey_seg_short -datum short -expr 'a*step(3-a)'
---> while this one says: return a copy of the input dset as dtype=short (the "-expr a" works no math on the input).
3dcalc -a TT_N27_grey_seg.nii.gz -prefix TT_N27_grey_seg_short -datum short -expr a
I don't see why it would be necessary to convert to short, but OK?
--> and this command would resample the input dset to Reward* grid, sure:

So my understanding is that this step is not necessary. If people want to do it, then the 2nd command (I copy it below) is better, as it does not set anything there, right?
3dcalc -a TT_N27_grey_seg.nii.gz -prefix TT_N27_grey_seg_short -datum short -expr a

Re. your question here:
I am also confused why here the template need be the output from the group analysis (i.e, Reward_vs_Neutral_ShapeNonfixed+tlrc). It looks like a circular argument, as we want to get a mask for the next group analysis (e.g., 3dttest++ and/or ANOVA2). But here the template is from the group analysis output. Something must be wrong. Any good pointers?
... I don't quite understand. The "template" in 3dfractionize just provides the grid for resampling your GM mask (assuming it is on a different grid to start with? if it weren't you wouldn't need to fractionize it). I don't understand what the issue is, or what circularity you are referring to?

I understand more about the 3dfractionize usage from here. What I said circularity here means

3dfractionize -template ./Reward_vs_Neutral_ShapeNonfixed+tlrc. -clip 0.2 -preserve -prefix TT_N27_grey_seg_short_F -input TT_N27_grey_seg_short+tlrc.

1) For the command above, the aim is to generate a mask for the Group analysis, and with this mask (i.e., TT_N27_grey_seg_short_F), people will get group analysis outputs, including the one, "Reward_vs_Neutral_ShapeNonfixed+tlrc."

2) But now before they run the group analysis, they use the "Reward_vs_Neutral_ShapeNonfixed+tlrc." as the 3dfractionize template, to make a mask (which finally is for the group analysis). Before people do the group analysis, they should NOT have this input "Reward_vs_Neutral_ShapeNonfixed+tlrc.".

3) Since people should NOT have the "Reward_vs_Neutral_ShapeNonfixed+tlrc." during the 3dfractionize stage, what should be the input template for this command?

Thank you very very much,
J
Subject Author Posted

On mask preparation

Juan December 28, 2020 01:57AM

Re: On mask preparation

ptaylor December 31, 2020 09:28AM

Re: On mask preparation

Juan January 03, 2021 07:21PM