AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
February 25, 2021 06:42AM
Hi!

I am running skullstripping on a large (>2000) T1w images from different sites and hence different image parameters. I started using the FSL bet function since we plan on using the FSL VMB function package later on and I found that for some datasets there is always a quite large chunk of tissue left form the area that is between the brain and spinal cord (left of the CSF that is left of the Pons).

I changed to AFNI's 3dSkullstrip and I have the same problem. I played around with some of the tips in the 3dSkullstrip function description but those are mostly for when GM is missing.

Usually this is no problem for fMRI analysis since the T1 is warped and then masked but I want to use these T1w images in native space for some Deep learning applications.

Do you have any tips on how to improve the skullstrip for these datasets?

See attached image. Thanks in advance!
Attachments:
open | download - strip.png (728.4 KB)
Subject Author Posted

3dSkullstrip vs Spine area Attachments

Robin February 25, 2021 06:42AM

Re: 3dSkullstrip vs Spine area

ptaylor February 25, 2021 09:42AM

Re: 3dSkullstrip vs Spine area

Robin March 01, 2021 03:02AM