AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
October 31, 2019 09:38PM
> I ran 3dMVM on the coefficients obtained with 3dREMLfit, and defined my desired GLTs. Is this legit?

Yes, that's fine.

> any tips on the advatages of 3dMEMA over 3dttest++ would be appreciated

Ideally the analysis for a dataset should be performed with one integrative model. In real practice this is not always feasible in neuroimaging due to a couple of limitations: model complexity, computational cost and the need for data quality control. Therefore, the analysis pipeline is usually split into two steps: one for each individual subject, and another one for group analysis. Such a two-step approach may result in information loss since the group analysis only uses the effect estimates (betas) as input most of the time. One way to make up for the information loss is to take the uncertainty of the effect estimates (embedded in the t-statistic) into consideration during group analysis. This pretty much explains what you experienced in your analysis ("I chose 3dMEMA just because the results looked a little better compared to what I got with 3dttest++").

Gang

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2019 09:38PM by Gang.
Subject Author Posted

Is it OK to run 3dMVM on coefficients obtained with 3dREMLfit?

Galit October 31, 2019 03:52AM

Re: Is it OK to run 3dMVM on coefficients obtained with 3dREMLfit?

gang October 31, 2019 09:38PM