AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
June 06, 2020 07:27PM
Howdy-

We (= me) has been slow to update the AFNI install instructions for Ubuntu 20.04. Thanks for information on this.

I have just taken an old laptop and installed Ubuntu 20.04, and am going through the setup. I will hopefully put up a full doc page by Monday (or so) about this, but some things to note:

A) Re. python-matplotlib (this is separate from the "xfonts-base" part, which is fine in the current documentation):
Ubuntu and its repo will now look for Python 3 specifically (because Python 2 became deprecated in Dec, 2019). If you search for matplotlib in the aptitude repo:
apt-cache search matplotlib
... it won't have "python-matplotlib" anymore (which was python 2's matplotlib module), but instead it will have "python3-matplotlib"
All this is to say, you can run:
sudo apt-get install -y python3-matplotlib
and that will get you Python 3 + matplotlib; and I think numpy will also be there as well, it appears, which might soon become an AFNI depedency.

Also, even more preferably for managing Python, I have gotten to like Conda/Miniconda, and find it pretty convenient overall to manage various python setups and install packages. We have instructions for this now on the AFNI webpages-- it's optional, but might be useful:
[afni.nimh.nih.gov]

B) Re. python-qt4
I believe this is also Python 2.* specific; I don't think you need to worry about this one, and can ignore (we don't really use the qt-based GUIs in AFNI at the moment for anything). There are Python 3 equivalents that one day we might use, but that isn't an immediate thing.

C) Re. lib-gfortran3 (here also, "libssl-dev" is a separate consideration, and one that appears to be correct in the install):
Chris Rorden has kindly done some of our homework for us, and noted this point here:
[github.com]
... so you should be able to do this instead:
sudo apt install libgfortran-8-dev libgomp1

D) Re. R:
Maybe having lib-gfortran-8-dev will help this-- I still have to investigate.

thanks,
pt
Subject Author Posted

Errors with AFNI installation Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

kxd344 June 06, 2020 02:21PM

Re: Errors with AFNI installation Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

kxd344 June 06, 2020 02:38PM

ptaylor June 06, 2020 07:27PM

rick reynolds June 06, 2020 11:28PM