AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
June 29, 2020 08:19PM
Hi, Soo Hyun-

Yeah, that is a bit tricky, I am afraid. Hopefully the following will work. I did this using the AFNI Bootcamp data as an example, and that is where some of the dset file names come from (in this directory of the downloadable Bootcamp data: "AFNI_data6/FT_analysis/FT/SUMA/").

1) Open the SUMA surface (I ran the "run.suma.00.both.141" in the above Bootcamp directory), and then draw one or more ROIs, giving each a different number and label. In my case, I made three ROIs, with the following index=label combinations: 1=abc, 2=def, 3=ghi.

2) In the GUI, save the dset, in my case I gave it the prefix "three_rois.lh", because I had that many ROIs drawn on the left hemisphere.

3) Convert ROI to surface dset. The "-input .." must be at end:
ROI2dataset                                         \
    -label_dset three_rois.lh.niml.dset             \
    -input three_rois.lh.niml.roi
Note: I had to use "-label_dset .." instead of "-prefix .." to preserve the ROI labels in the dataset header in a labeltable, which will be used later. You can see this information in the output as follows:
3dinfo -labeltable three_rois.lh.niml.dset
... which for me produced the following output:
<VALUE_LABEL_DTABLE
  ni_type="2*String"
  ni_dimen="3" >
 "1" "abc"
 "2" "def"
 "3" "ghi"
</VALUE_LABEL_DTABLE>

4) Convert the surface dataset (*.niml.dset) to a volumetric one (BRIK/HEAD or NIFTI); the command I use here mostly just follows "run.roi2dset" script example in this Bootcamp directory:
3dSurf2Vol                                          \
    -spec std.141.FT_lh.spec                        \
    -surf_A smoothwm                                \
    -surf_B pial                                    \
    -sv FT_SurfVol.nii                              \
    -grid_parent FT_SurfVol.nii                     \
    -map_func mode                                  \
    -f_steps 12                                     \
    -sdata three_rois.lh.niml.dset                  \
    -prefix three_rois.lh.s2v.roi

Note: At this point, three_rois.lh.s2v.roi+orig does *not* have labels; this can be seen by running:
3dinfo -labeltable three_rois.lh.s2v.roi+orig
... which just produces the message:
NO_LABEL_TABLE
...so we need to attach the labeltable from the earlier-made file.

5) Attach the labeltable from earlier dset that has it:
3drefit -copytables three_rois.lh.niml.dset three_rois.lh.s2v.roi+orig.
... and you can verify either in the AFNI GUI or using "3dinfo -labeltable ..." again that the three_rois.lh.s2v.roi+orig.* dset has its labels now.

--pt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2020 10:58PM by ptaylor.
Subject Author Posted

ROI labels created in SUMA to volume files

suhyun84 June 29, 2020 05:11PM

Re: ROI labels created in SUMA to volume files

ptaylor June 29, 2020 08:19PM

suhyun84 July 06, 2020 03:10PM

rick reynolds July 07, 2020 10:18AM

Daniel Glen July 07, 2020 04:26PM