AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 06, 2020 03:20AM
Hello,

Let me jump in :)

Regarding point 3), I think 'Karelo' refers to the definition of 'srms' in 3dTto1D where srms = scaled rms = dvars/mean, and it is suggested that "SRMS survives both a resampling and scaling of the data. Since it is unchanged with any data scaling (unlike DVARS), values are comparable across subjects and studies." (taken from [afni.nimh.nih.gov])

My suggestion is that you explore the range of the srms timecourse across the subject in your dataset, and try to infer the most appropriate value to clean your data from very large global fluctuations. Note the global effects will probably be captured by -regress_censor_outliers or 3dToutcount too. Performing this exploration is also valid for enorm (or FD or any metric). As Paul indicates, a threshold of 0.2 on enorm might be a good start, but maybe too strict for instance for clinical populations. Note that there are multiple definitions of FD in the literature (see Figure 9 in [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]) and setting up a fixed threshold is irrelevant, informative if the definition is not indicated in the paper.

Hope this helps
Cesar
Subject Author Posted

Enorm, rms and srms questions

Karelo September 02, 2020 09:23AM

Re: Enorm, rms and srms questions

ptaylor September 04, 2020 03:35PM

Re: Enorm, rms and srms questions

Cesar Caballero Gaudes September 06, 2020 03:20AM