AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 21, 2021 12:01PM
Hi, Carissa-

OK, a few things here:
+ that AFNI is stuck in mid-2019, but on a cluster, updating things are often difficult---I do have some sympathy with admins on this, as lots of people with different use-cases want various things on a cluster, some of which conflict. But updating your AFNI would be very useful, if possible.
+ I can't tell if the matplotlib module is installed there, because this old version of AFNI didn't report on it (current ones do).
+ There are a few recommendations that you can do to likely improve your AFNI usage on the cluster, and they don't require admin-level changes (they just affect your local files). These are in the bottom section, where you can copy+paste each of these lines:
cp /sharedapps/LS/psych_imaging/afni/07.17.2019/AFNI.afnirc ~/.afnirc
suma -update_env
apsearch -update_all_afni_help
The first two give you default ~/.afnirc and ~/.sumarc settings files for AFNI and SUMA, respectively, which you can subsequently adjust (change default things in the GUIs, for example). The third one makes it possible to use autocomplete of option names when typing AFNI commands in the terminal command line (I can't work without this functionality, myself... If you haven't noticed, most AFNI programs have a few options to try to remember...).
And also you should copy+paste these lines, for the second comment "* shell bash: consider sourcing (non-login) .bashrc from (login) .bash_profile":
echo "" >> ~/.bash_profile
echo "source ~/.bashrc" >> ~/.bash_profile
echo "" >> ~/.bash_profile

Separately, something I have done occasionally on a cluster or helped other people set up is to put a version of the AFNI binaries in a home directory, and then just add that location in your path ahead of the default cluster version---you don't need admin rights to have a set of AFNI binaries sitting there to use, like on a normal PC. All the dependencies should be installed, because your system is set up to use the binaries. And you can update your local version at will. If that sounds interesting, we can work through that here (I do think being able to keep up with AFNI updates is really useful. We add a lot of improvements and functionality overtime, as well as the occasional *gulp* bug fix.)

--pt
Subject Author Posted

Low voxel significance but large clusters?

cnweis April 19, 2021 12:36PM

Re: Low voxel significance but large clusters?

ptaylor April 19, 2021 06:23PM

cnweis April 19, 2021 07:12PM

ptaylor April 19, 2021 07:40PM

cnweis April 21, 2021 09:58AM

ptaylor April 21, 2021 10:45AM

cnweis April 21, 2021 11:49AM

ptaylor April 21, 2021 12:01PM

cnweis April 26, 2021 11:44AM

ptaylor April 26, 2021 01:32PM

cnweis April 26, 2021 03:36PM

ptaylor April 26, 2021 04:24PM

cnweis May 19, 2021 11:45AM