AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 29, 2021 10:15PM
Hi there,

I have some nifti files that have the back of the brain cut off and wrapping around to the front of the image. It gets worse over runs, as it looks like the head moves back in the frame more over time.

I have the suspicion that this is caused by the FOV for the scanner not being positioned correctly - and then motion of the head backwards over runs making that worse. But I thought this would just lead to the brain being cut off at the back, not wrapping around to the front.

My other thought was maybe it was something to do with converting the file from dicom to nifti - as I have been getting some image position type warnings (see below). Could you let me know if you think that image conversion could have anything to do with this wrap issue?

And if so, whether you think it is better to a) just run pre-processing with the files the way they are? b) cut off the wrapped bit from the front and pre-process? c) try glue the wrap back on to the back and pre-process. We are looking at the hand knob, so missing some occipital should be ok.

Note: the output from all conversion attempts look the same

Thank you for your help,

Harriet
----

Conversion attempts and warnings

1. dcm2niix

"slices stacked despite varying acquisition numbers (if this is not desired recompile with 'mySegmentByAcq') Warning: ParallelReductionFactorInPlane reported in DICOM [0051,1011] (4) does not match CSA series value 2”

I tried running the below to account for this but it did not work
dcm2niix_afni mySegmentByAcq [path]

2. Dimon

Dimon -infile_prefix 00 \
-gert_create_dataset \
-gert_write_as_nifti \
-gert_to3d_prefix to3d_run6 \
-gert_outdir .. \
-dicom_org \
-use_last_elem \
-save_details Dimon.details \
-gert_quit_on_err

I get some warnings along the lines of
- Image positions do not lie in the same position as the cross-product vector
- Slice based centre is different from mosaic centre
- Origin computation of obliquity may be incorrect

Also, it appears to be ordered in the reverse order e.g., 2 is midline, where other conversion 244 was midline. Which is weird

I have tried Dicom with the unique list function, with same results

3. mrconvert

for some background, I also tried converting using mrconvert and got this warning

[WARNING] Number of entries in mosaic slice timing (0) does not match number of images in mosaic (48); omitting
Subject Author Posted

Wrap around is a conversion issue? to3d Dimon

hdempseyjones August 29, 2021 10:15PM

Re: Wrap around is a conversion issue? to3d Dimon

hdempseyjones August 30, 2021 03:10AM

rick reynolds August 30, 2021 12:19PM

hdempseyjones September 01, 2021 07:59PM

rick reynolds September 08, 2021 09:28AM