AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 31, 2021 05:48PM
Hi, Robin--

There is a lot going on here.... I for one have never run the FS recon-all longitudinal pipeline, so I am not sure what is happening there.

To be clear, is "@Make_Special_FS" actually "@SUMA_Make_Spec_FS"? I am also confused by what "your" T1 is here.

There are a lot of things that can be happening here. As your data changes (coordinates become less well-centered, obliquity is used or not the FOV size changes), some of these considerations can become more or less important.
+ If it were me, to start I would deoblique my T1w dataset; doing it as follows will preserve where the coordinate origin (x,y,z)=(0,0,0) is:
3dcopy DSET_INPUT tmp
3drefit -oblique_recenter tmp+orig
3drefit -deoblique tmp+orig 
3dcopy tmp+orig NEW_DSET.nii.gz
+ If there is a huge amount of non-brain material, this might negatively affect alignment, esp. in finding the initial starting point (and it makes the files bigger and more unwieldy, needlessly, too). For that, as you have shown, 3dZeropad can be useful.
+ If your coordinate origin is *not* in a reasonable spot, then using 3dCM can be very useful, too.

At this point your anatomical shoudl be in good shape for everything. If there is a mismatch between the initial anatomical and the FreeSurfer, regular recon-all output and the contents of the SUMA/ directory, I would assume that that is due to having obliquity in the original is not being propagated along. This can be verified with:
3dinfo -obliquity -prefix DSET_INITIAL DSET_IN_SUMA_DIR
Even though your acquired anatomical might have voxels that are not 1mm isotropic and matrix dimensions that are not 256x256x256, the initial dataset and SUMA/ directory contents should overlay if the initial did not have obliquity. This is because AFNI uses the coordinates to locate data in space, not just voxels stacked from a corner so voxel size and matrix dimensionality would matter.

Re. the longitudinal analysis, I don't know what the "template space" you refer to is. Is it something that overlaps neither T1w_1 nor T1w_2 (the anatomicals at each time point)? If that is the case, then I don't see why the volumetric ROIs *should* overlap eiither input dataset (by definition). Or is this just about obliquity again? The initial T1w_? dataset is oblique, but the output of recon-all and @SUMA_Make_Spec_FS is not?

--pt
Subject Author Posted

ROI miss-match with orig T1 when using recon-all (and longitudinal) output in SSwarper?

Robin August 31, 2021 04:17PM

Re: ROI miss-match with orig T1 when using recon-all (and longitudinal) output in SSwarper?

ptaylor August 31, 2021 05:48PM

Re: ROI miss-match with orig T1 when using recon-all (and longitudinal) output in SSwarper? Attachments

Robin September 01, 2021 02:12PM

Re: ROI miss-match with orig T1 when using recon-all (and longitudinal) output in SSwarper?

ptaylor September 01, 2021 09:03PM

Re: ROI miss-match with orig T1 when using recon-all (and longitudinal) output in SSwarper? Attachments

Robin September 02, 2021 05:48AM

Robin September 02, 2021 11:18AM