AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
September 04, 2021 02:20PM
Dear all,

this is a total beginner question, sorry for this one, but I am stuck. Let me explain you what I plan to do:

I have preprossed one run of one subject. My aim is to extract or calculate the power law exponent of this run. How do I plan to do this? Via the following steps:

1. Take the run’s preprossed file (in my case "pb05.Subject_1.r01.scale+tlrc").
2. Calculate the fast fourier transform (FFT) to transform the time-domain of the run into its frequency-domain.
3. Take the FFT to then calculate the power-spectrum (frequency-domain) and finally the PLE.

This is my code for the FFT (step 2):

# Fast Fourier Transform (FFT)
directory=/users/philipp/desktop/fmri/dataset/subjects
for subject in subj1_exp1
do
mkdir $directory/$subject/FFT_PLE
for fMRIruns (pb05.Subject_1.r01.scale+tlrc)
do
cd $directory/$subject/preprocessing
echo "Processing $subject ..."
3dPeriodogram -prefix $directory/$subject/FFT_PLE/FFT.$fMRIruns $fMRIruns \
-nfft 1180
done
done

Now I have two questions: how is it possible via AFNI to transform the output file (FFT.pb05.Subject_1.r01.scale+tlrc), i.e., the four transformed file, into a .1D file so that I can nicely inspect the frequency-domain via AFNI (e.g., via the 1dplot option)? Of course, I can open the file just mentioned via the AFNI GUI and then display the file via a click on the GRAPH button, but this is a very silly way to do it, isn't it?

My second question would be: would you recommend to use 3dfim+ to calculate the PLE, or is there a better option with AFNI today? I read that 3dfim+ is really outdated and no longer supported.

Many thanks in advance,

Philipp
Subject Author Posted

Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) – Displaying the frequency-domain

Philipp September 04, 2021 02:20PM

Re: Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) – Displaying the frequency-domain

Philipp September 06, 2021 02:43AM

Philipp September 06, 2021 01:04PM

Daniel Glen September 07, 2021 11:08AM