AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
May 15, 2022 01:54PM
Dear all,

I would like to know if cutting a time-series with 3dTcat (e.g., removing the first 300 TRs in a 3000 TR time-series) yields a minimally different time-series if the cutting is done before vs. after using AFNI proc concerning the power spectrum.

Let me make it more clear with two cases.
1. I cut the time-series before preprocessing with 3dTcat (or I simply use the "-tcat_remove_first_trs" option in AFNI proc) to remove the first x number of TRs.
2. I preprocess the time-series with AFNI proc, and cut it afterwards with 3dTcat.

Would the resulting power spectrum, e.g., via using 3dPeriodogram, be identical?

I read that a fundamental or basic wave can serve as a reference for Fourier analysis. That wave is the longest wave available and its usually the length of the record (in our case, the length of the fMRI run – all sample points). If AFNI proc handles preprocessing like this, I could imagine that the power spectra between case 1 and 2 could differ, even if the difference is only minimal.

Let me know what you think,
Philipp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2022 01:55PM by Philipp.
Subject Author Posted

Cutting a time-series after vs. before preprocessing

Philipp May 15, 2022 01:54PM

Re: Cutting a time-series after vs. before preprocessing

ptaylor May 16, 2022 06:47AM

Philipp May 16, 2022 07:43AM

ptaylor May 16, 2022 08:38AM

Philipp May 16, 2022 08:54AM