AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
August 08, 2022 07:55PM
Hi, Sarah-

I believe that the yellow bits outside the brain are just a consequence of the programs using 'wsinc5' as the interpolating kernel when regridding the data (i.e., applying the warps). That kernel has plusses and minuses when compared to, say, a cubic spline: on the plus side, it preserves more contrast/sharpness within the volume; on the minus side, it will introduce tiny ringing, which will typically be seen just outside the brain (because the ringing is very small/unnoticeable when compared with the inner image). In general, for warping most non-integer-valued volumes, using this wsinc5 kernel is probably still the best way to go---in practice, that minimal ringing won't really affect any calculations. It will just look weird.

I wonder if you might be able to use afni_proc.py to do this calculation, so you don't have to manage the alignment pieces? I suspect that should still be possible and easier, at the end of the day.

And also, for most applications we recommend using full, nonlinear alignment between a subject anatomical and a template volume (@auto_tlrc is essentially just an affine alignment). That should give much better overall alignment, helping voxelwise group statistics as well as reference point creation or atlas registration for individual subjects.

--pt
Subject Author Posted

partial axial normalization Attachments

boukes01 August 08, 2022 02:08PM

Re: partial axial normalization

ptaylor August 08, 2022 07:55PM