AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
October 05, 2022 11:55AM
Hi-

Thanks for posting that.

OK, I would update the align_opts_aea option (for controling anatomical-EPI alignment, AEA) to be:
-align_opts_aea           -cost lpc+zz -giant_move -check_flip     \
That is our general starting point---from the options you cited above, the "-giant_move" might be necessary to open up the parameter search space for the alignment. The "-check_flip" is generally useful as a quick check against left-right flip badness, which happens:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fninf.2020.00018/full
You can also keep the "-Allineate_opts -source_automask+4" part, too (though I am not sure it is necessary in the updated case---I think the -giant_move might have that as part of it). I also realize I am not sure what previous iterations you might have had of the command overall...

I would also add this new option:
-align_unifize_epi local
... which often helps overcome EPI brightness inhomogeneity.

I would add this for letting the program pick the EPI volume with minimal numbers of outliers to be the EPI-anatomical reference volume, as well as "motion correction" reference volume:
-volreg_align_to          MIN_OUTLIER                              \
That is the most secure way to go for those processes.

You should state whether the anatomical has a skull on or not, so the program knows:
-anat_has_skull           no                                       \
(adjust "no"/"yes", as necessary). In my comment below about using @SSwarper before afni_proc.py, you would be able use a skullstripped output from that former program and then put "no", as here.

I see you have: "-regress_anaticor". To do anaticor, I would typically suggest running FreeSurfer first to get higher specificity segmentations of tissue for defining where to get the tissue-based signals from.

For nonlinear alignment, we would generally recommend running @SSwarper first, and then passing the results into afni_proc.py to be used. How does that sound? It combines the nonlinear alignment with anatomical skullstripping, as a bonus.

I would add in this option for some more QC items:
-radial_correlate_blocks  tcat volreg                              \
     -volreg_compute_tsnr      yes                                      \

You might only have one EPI run, but I generally include this option, include this option, so I don't forget to in cases that I have more than one:
-regress_motion_per_run                                            \

--pt
Subject Author Posted

Fixing Alignment and Installing PyQt4

bowdensa October 05, 2022 09:39AM

Re: Fixing Alignment and Installing PyQt4

ptaylor October 05, 2022 09:45AM

bowdensa October 05, 2022 10:55AM

ptaylor October 05, 2022 11:55AM