AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
January 04, 2023 02:58PM
Hello,
I am trying to run a simple level 1 analysis for a task where participants were excluded or included for a block of time. The block time varied based on the individuals response times (throwing a ball to other participants). I am new to AFNI but am just trying to run a simple 3dDeconvolve analysis for one participants on fMRIprep preprocessed data. Maybe I am missing the point of this process, but not sure how to model my data when I have blocks of differing durations?

I keep getting the following error message and I can't seem to resolve this...

*+ WARNING: '-stim_times_AM1 1' didn't read any good times from file '/mnt/analysis/sub-06/beh/test.1D'
++ '-stim_times_AM1 1 /mnt/analysis/sub-06/beh/test.1D' has 1 auxiliary values per time point
++ '-stim_times_AM1 1': basis function model 'dmBLOCK(1)' uses 1 parameters,
out of the 1 found in timing file '/mnt/analysis/sub-06/beh/test.1D'
*+ WARNING: '-stim_times_AM1 2' didn't read any good times from file '/mnt/analysis/sub-06/beh/tf_asd_06_equal_play.txt'
++ '-stim_times_AM1 2 /mnt/analysis/sub-06/beh/tf_asd_06_equal_play.txt' has 1 auxiliary values per time point
++ '-stim_times_AM1 2': basis function model 'dmBLOCK(1)' uses 1 parameters,
out of the 1 found in timing file '/mnt/analysis/sub-06/beh/tf_asd_06_equal_play.txt'
** ERROR: 3dDeconvolve dies: Unrecognized command line option: 'SYM: +full -equal'
Here's hoping these excerpts from '3dDeconvolve -help' enlighten:
'of the full model (all regressors) vs. the baseline model. Thus, it'
'against the full model with just that set of regressors removed. If'
'from the full model fit to the input data'

- what I have tried....
1) changing to "dmBLOCK(0)", "dmBLOCK(2)", "dmBLOCK"
2) changing the timing file to FSL formate and running "-stim_times_FSL"
3) creating a timing file with timing_tool.py -fsl_timing_files fsl_format.txt -write_timing output.1D and then insert (you will see two different input timing files below, 1 in 1D format and the other in .txt format
4) making the times smaller and the durations of increasing order in the timing file

still getting the same error???

Here is my code (I am running AFNI through docker)

subject=06

for subject in $subject; do
docker run -it -v /mnt/c/analysis/analysis/derivatives:/mnt/analysis/ afni/afni_make_build 3dDeconvolve -input /mnt/analysis/sub-${subject}/func/sub-${subject}_scale.nii.gz \ \
-censor censor.1D \
-mask /mnt/analysis/sub-${subject}/func/sub-01_task-cyber_space-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_desc-brain_mask.nii.gz \
-polort 2 \
-num_stimts 2 \
-stim_times_AM1 1 /mnt/analysis/sub-${subject}/beh/test.1D 'dmBLOCK(1)' \
-stim_label 1 full \
-stim_times_AM1 2 /mnt/analysis/sub-${subject}/beh/tf_asd_${subject}_equal_play.txt 'dmBLOCK(1)' \
-stim_label 2 equal \
-ortvec /mnt/analysis/sub-${subject}/func/confound_test.1D \
-gltsym 'SYM: +full -equal' \
-glt_label 1 full_exclude-equal_play \
-gltsym 'SYM: +equal -full' \
-glt_label 2 equal_play-full_exclude \
-fout -tout -x1D X.xmat.1D -xjpeg X.jpg \
-x1D_uncensored X.nocensor.xmat.1D \
-fitts fitts.$subject \
-errts errts.${subject} \
-bucket stats.$subject
done
This runs the following in afni container...

3dDeconvolve -input /mnt/analysis/sub-06/func/sub-06_scale.nii.gz -censor censor.1D -mask /mnt/analysis/sub-06/func/sub-01_task-cyber_space-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_desc-brain_mask.nii.gz -polort 2 -num_stimts 2 -stim_times_AM1 1 /mnt/analysis/sub-06/beh/test.1D dmBLOCK(1) -stim_label 1 full -stim_times_AM1 2 /mnt/analysis/sub-06/beh/tf_asd_06_equal_play.txt dmBLOCK(1) -stim_label 2 equal -ortvec /mnt/analysis/sub-06/func/confound_test.1D -gltsym SYM: +full -equal -glt_label 1 full_exclude-equal_play -gltsym SYM: +equal -full -glt_label 2 equal_play-full_exclude -fout -tout -x1D X.xmat.1D -xjpeg X.jpg -x1D_uncensored X.nocensor.xmat.1D -fitts fitts.06 -errts errts.06 -bucket stats.06

Here is my original timing file

10:22.594 76:22.926 260:20.6
Subject Author Posted

3D Convolve with variable block durations based on response timing of the participant

Abipolar January 04, 2023 02:58PM

Re: 3D Convolve with variable block durations based on response timing of the participant

ptaylor January 04, 2023 05:05PM

Re: 3D Convolve with variable block durations based on response timing of the participant

ptaylor January 04, 2023 05:13PM

rick reynolds January 04, 2023 06:38PM