AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
February 02, 2023 04:30PM
Hi all,

I am working on some difficult NHP T2s that I need to align to NMT. They are difficult because some are not exactly complete (the rear and sometimes the very front of the brain is cut off), they have an implant artifact, and crucially in the most important area they have both a local change of tissue shape and a hypersignal. (my ultimate goal is to threshold that hypersignal or it's difference from normal brain, and refer it to the atlas)

If the T2s were acquired along with a T1 things would be easier (such T1 would have that local change of shape but no hypersignal, so it should warp nicely to NMT, and I could apply the warp to the T2), but most weren't.

Can you offer any hints as to strategy? So far I have had most luck with 3dAllineate followed by 3dQWarp both on inverted T2s (via 3dUnifize -T2 -T2), both using either hel or lpa. Though none is as a good as I would like, and also if hel works on some cases it fails on others, and vice versa for lpa. I may have to accept that but I am still hoping for a more universal solution. Even the better cases are not perfect, the main problem (as far as I can tell) seems to be confusing the gm/csf boundary with either the wm/gm boundary or csf/skull boundary along the dorsal surface,

One area in which I have been failing completely is skull stripping. I am aligning non-stripped T2 to non-stripped NMT. I have a feeling that stripped T2 to stripped NMT would align better, but is there a good way to strip such T2 before alignment? I tried 3dAutomask and it basically thinks that almost the entire volume is brain. 3dSkullStrip creates a blob that more resembles the brain but still it deviates from the actual brain by a lot. Maybe I can't figure out how to tune them to a monkey T2. Any suggestions, please?
Subject Author Posted

Strategies for aligning NHP T2s to NMT

Pawel February 02, 2023 04:30PM

Re: Strategies for aligning NHP T2s to NMT

ptaylor February 02, 2023 07:42PM

Pawel February 02, 2023 08:25PM

ptaylor February 02, 2023 09:17PM

Daniel Glen February 03, 2023 02:24PM