AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
February 02, 2023 07:42PM
Hi, Pawel-

Indeed, I would start with 3dAllineate---can always add nonlinear tweaks later, but also if this step fails badly, nonlinear wouldn't start well.

Note that 3dAllineate and 3dQwarp both have this opt:
-emask ee   = This option lets you specify a mask of voxels to EXCLUDE from
               the analysis. The voxels where the dataset 'ee' is nonzero
               will not be included (i.e., their weights will be set to zero).
             * Like all the weight options, it applies in the base image
               coordinate system.
            ** Like all the weight options, it means nothing if you are using
               one of the 'apply' options.
So can you make a mask of the implant artifact to provide as an "exclusion mask," so that doesn't drive/distract alignment?

I would have started with lpc (or lpc+ZZ) between the subject T2w and NMT T1w reference; maybe with the emask that will have better traction?

I agree that starting with non-skullstripped to non-skullstripped might be best way to start (and then use that alignment to help remove skull---that is what @animal_warper does; actually, I could probably add an "-emask .." opt to @animal_warper, too). *But* if the skull is relatively bright in both datasets, while the internal tissue contrasts are opposite, then it might be worth adopting a different strategy. Would you mind sharing an image of one of your T2w volumes, either sagittal or coronal?

--pt
Subject Author Posted

Strategies for aligning NHP T2s to NMT

Pawel February 02, 2023 04:30PM

Re: Strategies for aligning NHP T2s to NMT

ptaylor February 02, 2023 07:42PM

Pawel February 02, 2023 08:25PM

ptaylor February 02, 2023 09:17PM

Daniel Glen February 03, 2023 02:24PM