AFNI Message Board

Dear AFNI users-

We are very pleased to announce that the new AFNI Message Board framework is up! Please join us at:

https://discuss.afni.nimh.nih.gov

Existing user accounts have been migrated, so returning users can login by requesting a password reset. New users can create accounts, as well, through a standard account creation process. Please note that these setup emails might initially go to spam folders (esp. for NIH users!), so please check those locations in the beginning.

The current Message Board discussion threads have been migrated to the new framework. The current Message Board will remain visible, but read-only, for a little while.

Sincerely, AFNI HQ

History of AFNI updates  

|
April 07, 2023 07:23AM

Would someone happen to know how many neighboring volumes are used to interpolate the censored volume and what would happen in the case outlined above (i.e., if two or more consequent volumes in a time series are outliers)?

The two closest neighboring volumes (in time) are use -- one before and one after, and the interpolation used is linear. For example, if time indexes 1 and 5 are kept, and time indexes 2,3,4 are censored, then
  s(2) = 0.75*s(1)+0.25*s(5)
  s(3) = 0.50*s(1)+0.50*s(5)
  s(4) = 0.25*s(1)+0.75*s(5)
where s(t) is the signal at time index t.

If s(5) is still an outlier (that is, wasn't censored but "should have been"), then the interpolated values will be outlier-ish themselves. However, you have to judge the likelihood of this happening enough to contaminate your results significantly. No signal processing method (even "machine learning") can perfectly suppress noise and outliers.

(As an aside, when I did resting state analysis [in my pre-retirement life], I usually used a fairly strict motion threshold for part of the censoring decision.)

The NTRP option was put there at the request of a particular Spanish researcher. Personally, I don't like it, as it gives the impression that you have a full set of "real" data, whereas some of your data times series is now fictional -- that is, you don't actually have the number of degrees of freedom that it seems like from the time series length. However, if you are going to do inter-subject time series correlations, then you have to do something to make that possible.
Subject Author Posted

Interpolating values with 3dTproject -cenmode NTRP option

Jonas Steinhäuser April 03, 2023 04:01AM

Re: Interpolating values with 3dTproject -cenmode NTRP option

RWCox April 07, 2023 07:23AM

Re: Interpolating values with 3dTproject -cenmode NTRP option

Jonas Steinhäuser April 13, 2023 12:47PM